This article explains the requirements to register a trademark in Colombia with the Colombian Trademark Office (SIC).
The requirements to register a trademark are:
1. Perform a trademark background search, in order to verify that the mark of your interest is not registered.
Before starting the process of registering a trademark in Colombia, it is recommended to conduct a phonetic and/or graphic background search, in order to find out if there are obstacles that prevent its registration.
To carry out a trademark search, in a safe and reliable manner, through an expert trademark registration law firm, former SIC officials, enter here.
2. Pay the official fees established by the Colombian Trademark Office (SIC).
To access the trademark registration process, the SIC annually establishes an official fee.
For the year 2024, the official SIC fees for the online trademark registration application are as follows:
- Trademark registration application (first or only class) $1.222.500 (Colombian pesos) (USD 322 Aprox.).
- Trademark registration application (additional class in the same application) $611.500 (Colombian pesos) (USD 161 Aprox.).
3. Fill out the trademark registration application form.
In order to start the process of registering a trademark in Colombia, a form that contains the following information must be completed:
- Data of the trademark applicant, who can be any natural or legal person.
- The name of the trademark to be registered.
- The class of the Nice International Classification to which the products or services to be identified belong.
- The description of the products or services to be identified with the brand, in detail.
4. Attach the documents required by the SIC.
Finally, it is necessary to attach the following documents.
- Receipt of payment of official fees.
- Art or logo of the brand to be registered.
- Power of attorney.
Check if your mark can be registered or start a trademark registration application in Colombia filling out the form below: